It LOOKED like I had moved on, away from the computer and the blogging page, but all throughout the evening, that phrase continued to play itself over and over again in my mind. "Walking down the road, walking down the road...." Suddenly other words were taking their places behind it. I realized I was remembering a story read long ago to my children at bedtime:
Seven little rabbits walking down the road, walking down the roadI wonder if my children remember the story about the rabbits and that walk they took down the road.
To call on old friend Toad...
I wonder if my children remember being read to at bedtime.
I remember. I remember and cherish it as one of my most special memories along this walking road we call life.
"Walking down the road" may sometimes take me to memories of days gone past, sometimes to days ahead in the future, and sometimes to what's present here and now.
Those little rabbits sometimes walked straight ahead on the path, sometimes turned around and went back, sometimes went down a hole, and sometimes went to sleep. The workings of my brain and my travels through life seem to follow a similar course.
...Seven little rabbits turned around until they found down in the ground a hole built by a mole.Remembering, experiencing, wondering, sharing, dreaming - I'm hoping to find all kinds of moments in this walk down the road.
Seven little rabbits went down the hole built by the mole...
...The last little rabbit went to sleep - Shhh, don't say "Peep" -The rabbits shared their walk with each other and with their friends Toad and Mole. I think the rabbits had it right. Walks down the road are best when shared with someone you love. Here's to sharing some of my walk with you.
He's tucked in bed and now instead of
walking down the road, walking down the road,
The last little rabbit dreamed a dream
And in that dream, all in a blur, there were
Seven little rabbits walking down the road, walking down the road
To call on old friend Toad.
No comments:
Post a Comment